HOW OLD IS YOUR SWITCHBOARD?
An electrical switchboard is the main electrical point in a dwelling that directs electricity to several smaller regions of said dwelling. In some older properties, the switchboards will require to be upgraded. Here we’re going to give you a few points on why a switchboard may need to be upgraded and how you can go about it.
Why a switchboard might need to be upgraded
There are several reasons why you should consider upgrading your old/dated switchboard:
- Old switchboards contain fuses which are prone to short-circuiting
- A short-circuit from an old fuse could spark an electrical fire
- Dated switchboards aren’t built to deal with the load demands from the number of electrical devices we use today.
- If you often blow a fuse, using one or more appliances. If a switchboard is crowded and you are adding new devices to your household that require dedicated circuits you’ll need to upgrade.
- If you’re about to install solar panels
Simply put, if your home/building was built before 1990 we strongly recommend you look at upgrading your electrical switchboard. Old switchboards and fuses are a major cause of house fires each year. New switchboards have circuit breakers, safety switches and high voltage diverters enabling your switchboard to be safer and can handle more appliances in modern-day homes.
Upgrading your electrical switchboard is a smart investment for your home or business providing you with peace of mind for your home and family. Contact our friendly team of knowledgeable commercial electricians at Camtec Electrical for more information about an electrical switchboard upgrade or other home repairs and electrical fit outs.